Tuesday 14 December 2010

Singapore 2

Christmas in Singapore beats Christmas in New Zealand, hands down. For one, they actually make an effort to decorate the malls and streets. Every year. Ever since we started coming here in 1995.

Christmas lights at ION Orchard


Christmas trees made from Potato-ish teddy bears at Takashimaya :D


On our first shopping trip, as with most of our shopping trips, I spent most of my money on food. By chance, I found Canele, a patisserie/chocolaterie, for which I'd seen some nice reviews. Bought six macarons from there - raspberry, caramel, chocolate, passionfruit milk chocolate, coffee, and pistachio. I'd have to say that I liked the caramel and pistachio ones best. They came packed in the cutest little box with a really pretty bag too.

After that, we went to a bakery and bought various baked goods, including curry bread. :3 the curry was really sweet though so it wasn't that nice... Later on, we had teriyaki chicken skewers from ToriQ and then Sam managed to find a Burger King amongst all the Asian food, so he ate something from there. We also managed to buy some popiah and wheel cakes.

At Takashimaya/Ngee Ann City, there was a massive toy expo on the event floor, where the winning models of a Gundam model-making competition were being displayed. Unfortunately, the photo I have here kinda sucks.


We also went to Kinokuniya. When I went in my hands were trembling - I was that excited. I found myself in the Japanese section, drowning in lots of Kuroshitsuji and Hakuouki and Togainu no Chi. I got myself a copy of the Kuroshitsuji character guide, but it was such a struggle to decide which books to buy (and which ones to save for next time...). There was a lot of Kaminomi as well - though I haven't even read the manga yet so I decided against buying.

Unfortunately, the Jrock magazines were much too expensive ($40 for one magazine compared to $20 for the character guide). They didn't even have the Gothic and Lolita Bible! :(

The rest of the day was a bit of a blur for me - those were pretty much the highlights. When we got to the taxi stand, it started raining buckets. Thank goodness we were already heading home.

No comments:

Post a Comment